Human Rights Watch Internship 2021 Is Open. The Africa Division of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking a University student intern to be based in its Johannesburg Office.
Human Rights Internships 2021
The intern will focus on the internal conflict affecting the Cabo Delgado Province in Mozambique.
Ideally, the intern will be available for a minimum of 10-15 hours per week from August to December 2021.
The internship will consist primarily of press monitoring and compiling reports on news relating to Mozambique, specifically news related to the crisis in Cabo Delgado.
Other responsibilities may include small research assignments, data management and analysis, drafting documents regarding issues in Cabo Delgado Province.
The intern’s duties may also include attending external meetings.
Other projects may be assigned as they arise that match the student’s interests and abilities.
Students will also have opportunities to attend virtual lectures, trainings, professional development workshops, and/or special events relating to human rights, as well as network with other HRW interns, volunteers, and employees.
As an HRW intern, students will take skills acquired in school and apply them in a professional setting.
- The intern must be a student for the duration of the internship term.
- Applicants should be well-organized, self-motivated, and reliable, with strong attention to detail.
- A strong interest in human rights, specifically concerning the SADC region, is essential.
- Relevant coursework is highly desirable.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, internet applications) and internet research skills are essential.
- Proficient reading and writing abilities in Portuguese is preferable.
Applicants must have valid authorization to intern in South Africa.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply immediately by visiting our online job portal at: https://careers.hrw.org and attaching a CV/resume, letter of interest/cover letter, a brief writing sample.
No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Due to the large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further.